Saturday 20 September 2008

Meridian City Hall Tour

A couple weeks ago, I found out that I'm a finalist in the Meridian city Hall public art project....which means, I am 1 on the 3 artists who gets paid to make a proposal (due by Oct 17th) for a hanging sculptural installation for the entrance of the new City Hall; now under construction... If my proposal is chosen, I get to make & install it by next spring: the budget is big enough to get really creative....very exciting opportunity..

Last night, we got to tour the construction site, meet the mayor, the construction Mgr, etc.... The new city hall is going to be amazing! They are creating a park-like setting out front with water features, an amphitheater, walkways, & lots of nice landscaping. City Hall is a lovely brick & steel building with lots of windows, & the site for the artwork is in the 2 story entrance: a wall of glass that will be seen from the main road.... Lovey earthy colors throughout the building; nice & modern, but comfortable. The possibilities for this project are tremendous--although suspending a work of sculpture is going to have it's own challenges....

After seeing the space & talking about the vision for City Hall, I was inspired, although no concrete ideas have come to mind just yet....I'm going to spend the next couple days working on some other projects, & let things simmer.... I know that whatever I come up with has to have some good color, something that plays with the light & has some lighting in the design, and touches on the history of the area, but the overall design should be modern....

Hmmmmm, nothing is popping into by head yet.... Here's some pics of the tour...


Here I am all dressed up for the occasion...


And my competition: Mr. Francis Fox....I wonder if he has any ideas yet either???

The windows from inside; the art piece will be hanging here...
The view of the space from the 2nd story....
OK; off to work & idea simmering... it's a lovely rainy morning; I'm enjoying listing to the thunder: maybe the lighting will spark some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment