Sunday 4 July 2010

Onions...

Last fall, we bought a whole bunch of onions; to keep through the winter--they were a super deal: left-overs gleaned from after the harvest...so we got like 50 lbs.  By this spring, we had used maybe 1/2 of them: and I noticed they were starting to sprout green shoots out of the middle...hmmmm.  I decided to plant a few & see what happened...


Well, after planting just a few & seeing that they took off like weeds, I planted more; everywhere...in roses to help ward off the aphids, with the kale, in the planters, & everywhere else I could find a spot... 
They have now all grown; some are like 3 feet tall with puff-ball seed heads--I like 'em!  They're funny & add something different to the landscape; the kids that visit the pond out front all the time had to ask what they were: when I told them they're onions, they said "wow! those are like the coolest onions ever!"  lol
They don't smell nearly as much as I thought they might; I haven't even noticed any onion-ish odors...  As for bug control: not sure; it did seem to help where they were all intertwined with the roses, but it's kind of hard to tell.
Anyway, I will definitely be planting s'more next year; will have to try some purple & gold ones; most of these where white.  Thinking about trying to save some of the seeds...we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment