Saturday 21 April 2012

Playing with Fire: Heat Coloring Copper Bouquets

I recently received an order for alternative bouquets & boutonnieres for the entire wedding party...theme of the wedding: Dragon Fire... (insert happy grin here)
 Cool; fire is fun...  I sent the bride (Nina) a sample of flamed colored copper & she thought is was perfect for the wedding....  So, I spent this morning (our first really warm, lovely spring day)  making up the brides-maids bouquets & groomsman's boutonnieres, along with matching bouts for the ushers, out of copper & then proceeded to torch them...
I am using a very old jeweler's torch--got it from an elderly gentleman who had bought it years ago & never used it: I can't even get parts for it through my welding supplier...   I love it, though: it's tiny, but super hot: perfect for coloring copper :)  And it looks almost identical to my big torch set-up: but miniature...so cute!
 Heating the copper this way makes it change color; it's fun to do & I was going for a rainbow effect; lots of purple, blue, green, & gold...   The colors are permanent, although they mute a bit when a sealer is added...

For this Dragon-Fire wedding, the wedding party will all be decked out with these copper bouquets & bouts, & the bride & groom will contrast with shiny aluminum: adorned with sparkling crystals in reds, oranges, & purples to match: working on that tonight... 

A fun project: I can't wait to see pics of the wedding :)

Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment