Sunday 5 April 2009

Updates: garden make-over, new sculpture, etc..

This cute little sculpture has been sitting in the shop for weeks now, just waiting for some TLC :) I finally got to work on it yesterday & am almost done: in the pic, it's just in mock-up stage: afterwards I took the brass, copper, & stainless off & textured them with the grinder; gives a beautiful, dimensional finish, but takes forever! Then, put them all back together again to rivet together & discovered that some of the holes I drilled were too big for a clean rivet tail: I must say, my skills at drilling through 4 layers of thin stuff & having everything line up in the end are lacking....but oh well. New plan; will get some cute little nuts & bolts today to attach everything--I like little bolts anyway--maybe I'll even get some colored washers too... Anyway, then I'll be able to mount the sail thing to the piece & it will be done!! It's a spinner, btw....also notice that my sail has a remarkable resemblance to leaves---I must have gardening on the brain!!



And speaking of gardening; we installed the path last night--made from lovely recycled concrete squares that cost us nothing :) This path is for getting the lawn mower from the shed to the front of the house easily; since I still have some lawn to mow...




And here it is all done; I even transplanted some thyme from the other side garden, to grow between the squares :) Hopefully it will fill in nicely & smell yummy when anyone walks down the path. Next, it's on to planning out my plantings: still a couple weeks to go before I can start planting warm weather seeds anyway...
On the City Hall front: we are scheduled for fabrication & final assembly this week!!! OMG--I'll be welding up the brackets today, meeting with Lex tomorrow morning to plan the build, & then putting it all together on Tues/Wed. Hopefully it will all go relatively smooth--can't wait to see things come together!!! Will take lots of pics & update often....
Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment