Sunday 31 August 2008

Back to work--an inspiring day....

Yesterday was a good day; I layed out some ideas for a couple new pieces; big ones---one 13 feet tall, one 16 feet. I spent the morning dragging stuff out into the front driveway & drawing on the concrete with chalk; I sure the neighbors think I'm getting crazier all the time!!!



This one will stand about 12 feet tall (I think) My original idea was some sort of mechanism thing in the middle with the big wheel on top, but after thinking about it all day, I think I'm going to do a huge wind-chime instead.....




And this one will be the kinetic piece. It all started with a solar tube that a friend gave me.... I'm wanting the whole piece to spin in the wind; I drew sails along the supports, but I think it may work better to make more of a vertical turbine; with 3 supports, & 3 long curving blades.... this one is definitely going to be a challenge, but I'm really excited about the possibilities! I'm going to have to find a spin mechanism for the thing to be built; maybe a wheel on an axle or something.....must do more thinking & engineering.....



After all the drawing & moving stuff, I decided to make something for my house; most of the time, I'm always making things for galleries or other people; its rare that I do any projects just for me. So, I had these hanging copper disks & keys that were part of piece that I didn't like & took apart, & I decided to make a small wind chime for the back of the house. Since we moved in, I've always thought that the space back there need something artsy.... So, here it is....



It makes the cutest little jingly sound in the breeze; I think I may need to make some more of these.....

No comments:

Post a Comment